Maren is a problem solver. She has a passion for real estate and getting clients “unstuck.” While Maren is a fighter, and veteran, she believes life is too short to spend too much time fighting. She is driven to help clients identify solutions, solve problems, and get back to the business of doing business.
Maren’s routinely advises commercial property owners on purchase and sale agreements and leases. She assists developers with commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential development projects and routinely speaks on the requirements of the Washington Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act (WUCIOA). With a unique background working both in and out of government, Maren is adept at preparing and negotiating permits, land use applications, development agreements, inter-governmental and public/private partnership agreements. Proficient in and out of the courtroom, Maren serves as a mediator (both online and in-person) and represents clients in real estate transactions and disputes; business disputes; public records act negotiations and petitions for injunctive relief; and at land use hearings and appeals.
Maren’s experience in public policy, government relations, commercial litigation, and administrative law combines uniquely to help clients think strategically and engage government in regulatory, legislative, and judicial fora. She is a creative thinker and problem solver, devoted to the responsible growth and improvement of our community.
“Simply put, Maren is an extraordinary attorney with a work ethic that is unrivaled among the hundreds of attorneys I have known in my career. … [Among an impressive group,] it is always Maren who is first to identify, isolate and analyze pertinent legal issues that affect the rest of us. … Maren is breathtakingly unselfish. Whatever team she is part of will receive the absolute best she has to offer—and the best she has to offer is the absolute best that can be obtained.”
Prior to joining HLG, Maren was an Air Force Reserve Judge Advocate General (JAG). She practiced law at Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing (now Dentons) in Honolulu, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, in Los Angeles.
Maren negotiated bills on Capitol Hill and provided strategic advice to civilian and military senior Air Force executives. She wrote and published Air Force regulations; wrote and audited compliance programs for private organizations; and investigated and enforced compliance on both sides of the table. Maren negotiated the first-ever Medicaid compliance agreement in Hawai`i, saving the practice of a family doctor in a medically-underserved area. She provided compliance advice to nonprofit organizations, government contractors, health care entities, educators, and others.
Maren has a deep and varied history with commercial and residential real estate litigation and mediation. She facilitated the transition, sale, and litigation of commercial leases during the K-Mart bankruptcy. She litigated and mediated construction disputes and mixed-use condominium projects. She litigated a failed public-private partnership multi-family housing project and now uses that experience to help developing new partnerships build successful projects for the future.
Maren’s entrepreneurial spirit matches well with the startup community, helping those in emerging markets and those that seek to disrupt or change existing markets to engage strategically with government. She encourages clients to begin talking with government representatives early, so they can help shape the conversation, identify trade spaces, and develop their business plans accordingly.
Licensed in Washington, Oregon, California (inactive), and Hawai`i (inactive), Maren’s varied background and personal network introduce diverse, new ideas into every project. She is straight-forward, non-partisan, and innovative.
In her free time, Maren enjoys being with her family, boating, bicycling, traveling, exercising and visiting local wineries.
Commercial Real Estate
- Successfully litigated Growth Management Act challenges, ultimately dismissed as moot by the Washington Court of Appeals
- Facilitated 100% successful transition, sale, and litigation of 46 commercial leases during the K-Mart bankruptcy…maximized value for the estate
- Litigated a complex-financing, public-private partnership multi-family housing project…resolved multi-million-dollar fraud and breach of contract claims
- Litigated and mediated mixed use condominium association dispute…negotiated mutually-agreeable compromise, bringing an end to decade-long dispute others thought intractable
- Litigated construction dispute over failed concrete, mitigated loss and limited liability
Government Relations & Public Policy
- Negotiated first-ever Medicaid compliance agreement in Hawai`i…saved the practice of a family doctor in a medically-underserved area
- Developed & advocated disability policy change…adopted by Defense Health Affairs securing presumption of government liability for more than 1 million people
- Led 40+ member team analyzing Guard and Reserve personnel law and policy matters… developed strategies to mitigate industry-wide pilot shortage
- Wrote a bill, secured Department of Defense-wide agreement, and negotiated with congressional professional staff members to change laws regarding permissible use of full-time Guard and Reserve airmen
- Led cross-functional team in processes improvement effort …saved 11 months in securing Secretary of the Air Force approval of proposed legislative changes
- Developed strategy and managed sensitive religious freedom negotiations between Congress, a government agency and a private organization…avoided significant press and allowed space to negotiate preservation of a $1.3 million program
- Balanced corporate interests & drafted policy to establish first-ever limited due process rights for Air Force officers relieved of command
- Identified policy flaw incorrectly implementing federal benefits. Wrote and advocated for policy change…secured $3.7 million in advanced retirement pay for 400 airmen without the need for litigation
- United States Air Force Academy, BS, Humanities (1993)
- UCLA School of Law, J.D. (2001)
- Online Dispute Resolution Certificate (2020)
- Collaborative Law Training (2019)
- American Council on Exercise, Behavioral Change Specialty Certificate (2016)
- Government Affairs Institute, Georgetown University, Certificate in Legislative Affairs (2012)
- Hawai`i (inactive)
- California (inactive)
- Ninth Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawai`i
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution
- Mediate.com Premium Member
- Global Collaborative Council
- Collaborative Professionals of Washington
- Joseph G. Lineberger Excellence Award, 2018
- Awarded to exemplary catalysts for change, leading the Air Force in adapting how it thinks, organizes, trains, equips, and develops its people
- Awarded to those who ensure due process, equity, fairness and impartial treatment of those affected by Air Force personnel policies and adjudications
- Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year, 2014
- Awarded to the most outstanding Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve judge advocate (lieutenant colonel or below)
- Awarded for contributions to mission support; leadership in civic, cultural, or professional activities; attorney/paralegal partnerships; external collaboration; and programs of professional self-improvement
- #1 of >750 eligible candidates – Air Force level award
- Headquarters Air Force Reserve Component Judge Advocate General of the Year, 2013
- #1 of >150 eligible candidates – Headquarters level winner/nominee
Maren believes strongly in giving back to the community. Below are a few of the community groups she was or is currently involved in:
- Treasurer, Combat Wounded Veterans Challenge
- Board Member – Association of Washington Businesses, Sep 2019 to present
- Ed Lynch Honorary Board Member – Identity Clark County, 2019
- Moderator, Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Panel, Officer Women Leadership Symposium
- Advisory Board, Western Center on Law & Poverty
- Mentor, Volunteers in Parole
- Member, Los Angeles Women in Sports